If like me you maintain a website either for your own pleasure or as as a showcase and promote you off-line or on-line business, I thought it might be useful to pass on a few tips on how to audit your website to help you keep it…fresh!
It’s easier and more worth-while than you imagine…
If your website isn’t performing as well as you’d like, it may be time to get critical and do a website audit. You can pay someone a lot of money to do it for you, but you can also do it yourself. When you audit your website you’re essentially looking for elements that are working, as well as elements that aren’t working and need to be updated.
Every few years the internet changes in a big way. How we do things today is totally different to how we did things just ten years ago. What’s in today will not be in tomorrow. Therefore, it’s important to keep your website up to date with the modern technology available to you for your industry and niche.
* How’s Your Branding? – This speaks to your use of color, typography, visuals, and even favicons. In addition, is your “about us page” updated, and is it telling the story clearly of who you are and what you can do for them? Have you included testimonials, success stories and more to keep your visitor interested?
* How Is Your Design? – The look and feel of your website has a lot to do with the layout, whether content is organized well, the white space you have on your website and your calls to action. Do they stand out? Do you have too much old-school design on your website? How can you modernize it?
* Is Your Coding on Point? – Do you have an updated sitemap file? Are you still using frames and old-school coding that doesn’t work today? Are your URLs indicative of what’s on each page? Are you using headers and sub-headers properly?
* Is It Usable? – Are you following best practices when it comes to layout? If you’re not sure you can read Google’s advice to webmasters as well as the W3C consortium to see what they recommend. Right now the menu should go at the top, with certain things expected in the footer and sidebars.
Link to W3C consortium – https://www.w3.org/
* Do You Have Holes in Your Content? – If you have any old content that is not quality focused, engaging and relevant, you will want to work on updating it. Then focus on continuing to be consistent with adding fresh content.
* Are Your Keywords Focused? – In the old days you might have put a lot of keywords on a page to attract your audience. Today, keywords are important but they need to be used in titles, headers, and sub-headers. They should only be used sparingly in the content, which should be written first for your audience. But ensure that when you do use keywords you’re using the right ones for your audience.
* What Can You Do to Improve On-Page SEO? – This is all about how your page titles are written. They should represent exactly what’s in the content that you present. Clickbait is not appreciated even though a lot of even mainstream press uses that trick to get you to click. Focus on that, the URLs for each page, and meta descriptions which are still very important, as are meta titles.
* Are You Using Social Media Right? – Ensure that it’s easy for your audience to share your content socially. Connect your website to Google and YouTube, LinkedIn, Pinterest, Twitter and more depending on what your audience likes to use. Plus, ensure that you’re engaging with social media too.
* Is Your Site Mobile? – Today there is no more excuse for not having a mobile site. Your main website should be mobile first and then it will also work on regular browsers. This will require you to have a clean design, which is great for everyone.
* What’s Out of Date? – If there is anything on your site that is out of date or no longer necessary, get rid of it. This includes things such as keyword-stuffed articles, duplicate content, spun content, a ton of ads, paid links and more.
By going through this list you can do a website audit yourself. This will help you keep your site modern, usable and working for your business.
Here’s how to audit your website for FREE with a little help from a group of experts at Fireworks by following this link…
Have some fun… and improve your site at the same time.
P.S. To effectively promote your website and business you need the right tools. You can get everything you need here …